Sunday, December 7, 2008

At What Age Are We Mature

What do you think? Shouldn’t there be a set age when God says, “Okay, you’re good, no more trouble for you; just sit here and rest until the others catch up.”? If there is such an age it must be past sixty-seven, or maybe I missed it while I was in Africa.
The Scriptures that are catching my attention most, of late, are those that have to do with perseverance. They tell me that endurance is not optional, but very necessary. Even in old age there is to be no slacking off. The trials keep coming, revealing what is inside of me, and most of what I see in me, I don’t like. Sixty-seven years is not long enough to become perfect (mature). I am still having to learn obedience by what I suffer. Even the trials of my own causing, God seems to smile at and say, “Okay, I’ll use that too.” He reaps where He has not sown.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Even the trials of my own causing, God seems to smile at and say, “Okay, I’ll use that too.” He reaps where He has not sown."

I had never really thought of my poor choices in the context of God using them as opportunities to reap where He had not sown. I always feel so isolated and utterly abandoned when I mess up--kind of like that lone wildebeest straggling behind the herd that always get taken down by the lions on the nature shows--waiting for Satan to devour me, because God has finally given up and walked away. The image of God smiling and saying, "Hey, I can work with that..." reminds me that He loves me and that nothing is wasted, even though at times I'm as foolish as that lone wildebeest!

Leah said...

That is a very vivid analogy -- the lone wildebeest.